Pupils who do not achieve a level 4 at the end of KS2 in English and/or Mathematics attract a Catch-Up premium of £500 for use in their first year of secondary school in order to aid them to progress in these (and other) subjects at a faster rate.
In the 2018/19 academic year 7 cohort we will receive £7,568.00 to utilise to help pupils to ‘catch up’.
Since September we have employed a number of strategies to support these pupils:
- Lexia (phonics programme) during some Reach for a Book sessions
- Paired reading with strong year 9 pupils during some Reach for a Book sessions
- Targeted support from an Assistant Teacher in Mathematics
- 18 from 28 eligible pupils reached school age-related expectations by the end of Year 7 in English
- 12 from 24 eligible pupils reached school age-related expectations by the end of Year 7 in Mathematics
Those who still did not meet the school age-related expectations continued to benefit from targeted support from Assistant Teachers and/or focussed group setting in Mathematics.