A key strand to the Enjoyment aspect of the school’s ethos is the Electives programme, which takes place on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 3.15pm until 4.05pm.
We have recently revamped our Electives’ provision and are now able to offer more than 50 different Electives per week and teach these to groups of approximately 10 pupils, enabling them to gain a more fulfilling experience.
The aims of the Electives’ programme are:
- To allow pupils to become more rounded individuals
- To be a midway point between state and private education in recognising the benefit of an extended school day
- To offer a breadth of opportunities not usually available within the confines of the curriculum
- To give pupils a chance to boost their morale and recognise different successes and skills
A sample of Electives which have been offered this year is as follows:
- Training with Scout
- Basic Army Skills
- Netball/Football/Rugby/Cricket/Dance/Australian Football/American Football/Cross Country/Athletics/Table Tennis/Ultimate Frisbee
- Franklin and Numeracy Scholars
- Musical Theatre and Dance
- A Capella Singing
When pupils choose their Electives each half-term, we also gather feedback as to their experiences. Some examples of the comments regarding the Electives taken so far are as follows:
“The Reach Free School Electives are great fun and there is a lot of variety”
“During ACE time I can get support in subjects I find difficult from specialist teachers”
“I love that I get to work together with pupils from other year groups”
As part of our Electives’ programme Year 7-9 pupils have a weekly hour of ACE time, whilst our Year 10 and 11 pupils have Targeted Intervention. In each of these sessions there are eight teachers available to support pupils with their learning and pupils are able to complete some of the work that it has been set for homework or seek support to clarify any misconceptions they may have in regards to work covered in lessons.
We are always looking to broaden the experiences offer in our Electives’ programme, so if you have a suggestion for an activity that could take place during a session, please contact us.